Billing/Collections Specialist – 32 hours per week
Essential Job Responsibilities may include:
- Identifies delinquent accounts, aging period, and payment sources.
- Processes delinquent unpaid accounts by contacting patients and third-party payers.
- Evaluates patient financial status and establishes payment plans.
- Reviews accounts and makes recommendations to clinic manager and prepares information for collection agency.
- Coordination of benefits for secondary insurances. Files paper insurance claims as needed.
- Assists patients with billing questions.
- Sends denials to appropriate departments for corrections.
- Documents all correspondence with patients, insurance carriers, and attorneys in Epic EMR.
- Posts patient and third party payer payments to patient accounts.
- Posts adjustments to patient accounts per clinic policy and/or third party payer contracts.
- Monitors charges and verifies correct payment of claims and capitation deductions.
- Prepares daily bank deposit.
- Researches refund requests for patient or insurance company overpayment.
- Processes billing statements.
- Works assigned work queue on regularly scheduled basis and per clinic policy.
- Checks schedule daily for delinquent accounts and/or missing insurance coverage.
- Maintains Patient Confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: 1-2 years prior experience in health care business office setting preferred.
- Knowledge of medical billing/collection practices.
- Knowledge of basic medical coding and third-party operating procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of legal and regulatory government provisions.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of clinic policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computer systems, programs, and spreadsheet applications.
- Knowledge of health care insurance claim practices and compliance.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective internal and external working relationships.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in time management and organization.
- Skill in gathering and reporting claim information.
- Skill in trouble-shooting claim insurance problems.
- Skill in written and verbal communication and customer relations.
- Ability to accurately enter data and examine insurance documents.
- Ability to identify and analyze claim problems.
- Ability to deal courteously with patients, staff, and others.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly.
- Ability to work effectively with physicians, other medical staff, and external agencies.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to enhancing the diversity of our people, ideas and talents. We welcome all applicants without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or age. Applications from members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.